|Fedora Test Days|
|GNOME 3 (pre-F15 Alpha)|
What to test?
Today's installment of Fedora Test Day will focus on GNOME 3. This is the first of three Fedora 15 Test Days focusing on GNOME 3. The goal of these events is to test as much as possible of the functionality of GNOME 3 to ensure that it works correctly and provides the necessary basic features for a day-to-day usable desktop.
The following cast of characters will be available testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
Prerequisite for Test Day
- An updated Rawhide (tips on installing Rawhide below), or the specific Test Day live image.
- Your hardware profile uploaded to Smolt according to these instructions
- For most testing, a graphics adapter capable of compositing: we are aiming to support all NVIDIA GeForce adapters, all Intel adapters except for GMA 500 (Poulsbo) and pre-i915 (i8xx) adapters, and all ATI/AMD Radeon adapters. If you are using an unsupported adapter, you can still help us with fallback testing - see below.
Also helpful, if you have or can get them:
- Additional displays (monitors, TVs...)
- As many storage devices as you can access
- Optical media (burned, commercially pressed, and blank burnable, CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays)
- Graphics adapters, virtual machines, or driver configurations not capable of compositing, to test fallback support (see below)
How to test?
As this event comes before the release of Fedora 15 Alpha, you will need a Rawhide installation or live image to perform the testing.
You may download a non-destructive Rawhide live image for your architecture. Tips on using a live image are available at FedoraLiveCD. Note that these 2 images are not CD-sized so should be used either on a DVD or a thumb drive.
Post-live image updates
The following updates that fix known bugs are available beyond what is included in the live image:
- control-center-2.91.6-4.fc15 - fixes a crash on running the Region and Language configuration panel, and the Date and Time panel
- gnome-bluetooth-2.91.5-4.fc15 - fixes a crash on running the Bluetooth configuration panel
- gnome-shell-2.91.6-4.fc15 - fixes the bluetooth system icon not appearing: RHBZ #674874
Using the live image is the easiest way to participate in testing for most people, but alternatively you can:
Update your machine to Rawhide
If you want to try Rawhide, see the instructions on the Rawhide page on the various ways in which you can install or update to Rawhide. For now, you will also need to add a repository definition to
/etc/yum.repos.d for the Koji Rawhide repo and update using that, as Rawhide proper does not yet have all the necessary packages. You may need to remove some packages for the upgrade to proceed, and you should remove
and all packages ibus-* as they cause significant issues (crash when typing in any GTK+ 3 application including the Shell itself, and inability to type in dialog boxes) if installed. Using the live image is easier and highly recommended.
Please perform as many of the test cases listed as you have the time and the resources to complete, and fill out your results in the table below. You do not need a Fedora account to fill in the table.
This test case will test that GNOME falls back correctly to a 'classic' environment if your hardware does not support the GNOME Shell. If your hardware starts GNOME Shell correctly, please leave the fallback test column empty, and fill in the other test result columns. If your hardware is unable to start GNOME Shell, but falls back correctly to a classic environment, please mark the fallback test in the results table as 'pass', and leave the other test columns empty. If your hardware is unable to start GNOME Shell, and does not fall back correctly to a classic environment, please mark the fallback test in the results table as 'fail', file a bug against
, and leave the other test columns empty.
- QA:Testcase_desktop_uri - NOTE: GNOME 3 does not provide a configuration interface for preferred applications, so skip that step; this is intended
- QA:Testcase_desktop_date - ERRATA: GNOME date/time config applet seems to crash on launch on live images, works on an installed desktop; may be a missing dependency
- QA:Testcase_desktop_automount - NOTE: there will be no file manager on the Desktop, see this mail for the design decision behind it
As well as running the formal test cases, you can help simply by running GNOME 3 and reporting any problems you come across in the course of your typical use, even if they do not match up with any of the test cases. Please remember, though, that just being different from GNOME 2 is not necessarily a problem, and check in #fedora-test-day before you file a bug.
NOTE: There are updated control-center packages if you experience crashes in the "Region and Language" panel
If you have problems with any of the tests, try and report a bug. Most bugs in this event should be reported to GNOME Bugzilla. Bugs that are clearly issues in Fedora GNOME integration should be reported to Fedora Bugzilla. You will need an account to report bugs, but creating one is easy, and we will help you do this if you ask in IRC.
If you are not sure of the appropriate component, please check in IRC before filing, there are many possibilities. If you are unsure about exactly how to file the report or what other information to include, just ask on IRC and we will help you.
Once you have completed the tests, add your results to the Results table below, following the example results from the first line as a template. The first column should be your name with a link to your User page in the Wiki if you have one, and the second should be a link to the Smolt profile of the system you tested. For each test case, use the result template to describe your result, following the examples in the Sample user row.
|User||Smolt Profile||Fallback||URIs||Shortcuts||Date||Keyring||Dash||Search||Background||GL||Multihead||Evince||Browse||Web media||Totem||VNC||Mount||Menus||References|
|User:pfps ThinkPad T60p||HW|
|arouse livecd image||Smolt|
|Reinout van Schouwen||HW|
|Erik Sands (soundfreely)||HW|
|Miguel Zúñiga González (miguel~1.mx)||HW|