Fedora 23 for AArch64
The Fedora ARM Team is pleased to announce the release of Fedora 23 for AArch64, ready to run on your next generation servers. Fedora 23 is a game-changer for the Fedora Project, and we think you're going to be very pleased with the results.
Highlights in the Fedora 23 AArch64 Release
Fedora Server makes service management simple with RoleKit, a programmatic interface for quick deployment, and Cockpit, a remote web GUI. Now in Fedora Server 23, you can manage Kubernetes clusters from the Cockpit Admin Console, or launch a FreeIPA domain controller from a kickstart file. Get Fedora Server this morning and have an identity management solution in place by lunchtime.
As with every Fedora release, almost every component has a new version, with improvements across the board.
Fedora 23 also has important under-the-hood security improvements, with increased hardening for all compiled software and with insecure SSL3 and RC4 protocols disabled. We've also updated all of the software installed by default in Fedora Cloud Base Image and Fedora Workstation to use Python version 3.
Perhaps most importantly, Unicode 8.0 support now enables the crucial U1F32D character.
- Applied Micro X-Gene (Mustang)
- Advanced Micro Devices Opteron A1100 (aka Seattle)
Overview of Hardware Support Status
|Advanced Micro Devices Opteron A1100 (Seattle)||Tested with 74E firmware.|
|Applied Micro X-Gene (Mustang)||Tested with APM Tianocore - 1.15.10.|
A network installation is the preferred installation method for current Aarch64 hardware targets. In order to begin you will need to setup the installation server, a guide can be found below:
Once configured use the Fedora 23 AArch64 installation tree below:
Install with QEMU
sudo curl -o /etc/yum.repos.d/firmware.repo https://www.kraxel.org/repos/firmware.repo sudo dnf install edk2.git-aarch64 libguestfs-tools-c
sudo virt-install \ --name Fedora_23_AArch64 --ram 2048 --arch aarch64 \ --boot loader_ro=yes,loader_type=pflash,loader=/usr/share/edk2.git/aarch64/QEMU_EFI-pflash.raw,nvram_template=/usr/share/edk2.git/aarch64/vars-template-pflash.raw \ --disk size=8 --os-variant fedora22 \ --location https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/23/Server/aarch64/os/ *Add kickstart with (root password is 'fedora'): --extra-args "inst.ks=https://pwhalen.fedorapeople.org/kickstarts/Fedora-23-Minimal-AArch64.ks"
For a full list of QEMU installation options and instructions:
Reported Bugs and Known Issues
- When using an encrypted partition, "plymouth.enable=0" must be added to the kernel command line. Failure to do so will not allow the passphrase to be entered to unlock the encrypted partition. (BZ#1172740).
- When performing a PXE boot on an AMD Seattle system, the grub menu is never displayed, and it drops to a grub prompt. It is recommended to use the Fedora 22 BOOTAA64.EFI on the PXE server. (BZ#1251600)
- Auto-generated 'anaconda.cfg' file contains conflicting commands. Recommended work around is to comment out 'reqpart' command as noted in this example - https://pwhalen.fedorapeople.org/kickstarts/Fedora-23-Minimal-AArch64.ks . (BZ#255447)