Update python-django to version 1.8.
- Name: Matthias Runge
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Release notes owner:
Update python-django to version 1.8. Fedora 21 contains version 1.6, which will become deprecated by upstream, once Django-1.8 is out. This is a change, impacting many of python-django-* packages.
Django upstream is transparent and announces deprecation far in advance.
Benefit to Fedora
Current Django versions in Fedora are just short term supported. For Django-1.8, upstream writes (https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.8/):
Django 1.8 has been designated as Django’s second “Long-Term Support” (LTS) release. It will receive security updates for at least three years after its release. Support for the previous LTS, Django 1.4, will end 6 months from the release date of Django 1.8.
- Proposal owners:
- update python-django to version 1.8. To support maintainers of dependent packages, a copr repo containing latest Django-1.8 is here: https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/mrunge/django-1.8/
- A build containing latest Django will be pushed to f22 branch late in dev cycle. If we decide not to push Django-1.8, nothing will be broken.
- Django 1.8 final release is expected around April 1st, 2015: https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.8Roadmap#schedule
- Other developers: update dependent packages to work with Django-1.8
- Release engineering: N/A
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
A list of incompatible changes for Django-1.8 can be found her: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.8/#features-deprecated-in-1-8
How To Test
This is not about adding a new feature, but updating a set of packages. A test is successful, when packages are still working after the change.
No user interaction should be required for updating python-django itself. It may be possible, configure changes for dependent packages are required.
Updates to dependent packages are required.
- Contingency mechanism: If we can not make it, we'll keep Django-1.7 from rawhide.
- Contingency deadline: Fedora 22 Beta release.
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? doesn't block a product.
Upstream release notes: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.8/
The list of deprecated features is here: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/deprecation/#deprecation-removed-in-1-8