Update the Haskell GHC compiler from major version 8.0.2 to 8.2.2.
- Name: Jens Petersen, Haskell_SIG
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Release notes ticket: #108
This change involves updating the GHC Haskell compiler in Fedora to the latest major version and rebuilding all the Haskell packages in Fedora with it.
GHC 8.2 bring a number of important performance improvements and new features, including improved DWARF support and support for the Backpack modular packaging system. There are more details the upstream release notes linked below.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora users will have access to the latest stable version of GHC.
- Proposal owners: rebuild updated Haskell packages in f28-ghc
- we will base package versions off Stackage LTS 10
- installation of shared libraries in common directory to speed up startup of executables
- Other developers: None really, Haskell SIG can rebuild all packages as far as possible
- Policies and guidelines: None planned, but will review
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Upgrades will be supported and work: users will need to rebuild their own Haskell software with the new version of the compiler.
How To Test
- dnf install ghc cabal-install alex happy pandoc hlint
- dnf install @haskell
- dnf install ghc-*-devel
User will have the latest ghc compiler installed.
There should not be any non-Haskell dependencies
- Contingency mechanism: Haskell SIG will revert to F27 ghc and packages
- Contingency deadline: before Mass Rebuild
- Blocks release? No
The GHC Haskell Compiler has been upgraded to version 8.2.2, and all Haskell packages rebuilt and many updated.