Update GNOME to the latest upstream release, 3.16
- Name: Kalev Lember
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner:
- Product: Workstation
- Responsible WG: Workstation
GNOME 3.16.0 is in the stable repositories and going to be included in the Fedora 22 Beta release.
The new features for 3.16 include:
- Notification redesign in gnome-shell
- Improvements in nautilus UI
- New games: gnome-2048 and gnome-taquin
- Improved GTK+ and gnome-shell themes
- The codec, font, mime handler installation support is moving from gnome-packagekit to gnome-software, with a new UI
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora stays in sync with upstream.
- Proposal owners:
- Keep existing GNOME packages updated
- Follow upstream module changes
- Package new applications and new dependencies of existing GNOME packages for GNOME 3.16:
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: N/A
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
Upgrading from GNOME 3.14 to a newer release should not have a major impact.
How To Test
Generic 'desktop testing' is always appropriate for a major new desktop version.
Notable additions or changes to the GNOME user experience in 3.16 include:
- New notification UI, tracked separately here: Changes/GnomeShell_NewNotification
- Nautilus UI improvements, tracked separately here: Changes/Nautilus_Improvements
GNOME 3.16 will be released in March 2015 and fits well into Fedora 22 schedule. In case of issues with individual modules that aren't either released in time or aren't deemed suitable for Fedora 22, we'll continue using the GNOME 3.14 versions of these modules.
- Contingency mechanism: The Workstation WG evaluates the GNOME 3.16 prerelease before beta freeze and reverts individual changes as needed.
- Contingency deadline: beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
Fedora 22 includes the latest version of the GNOME desktop, 3.16. For more information about what is new in this GNOME release, see the release notes.