Update GNOME to the latest upstream release, 3.20
- Name: Kalev Lember
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner: Simon Clark (sclark)
- Product: Workstation
- Responsible WG: Workstation
The new features for 3.20 include:
- Graphical System Upgrades
- Cantarell font improvements
- Shortcuts windows
- New Mouse and Touchpad Settings
- Improved CSS theming for GTK+ apps
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora stays in sync with upstream.
- Proposal owners:
- Keep existing GNOME packages updated
- Follow upstream module changes
- Package new applications and new dependencies of existing GNOME packages for GNOME 3.20
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: N/A
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
Upgrading from GNOME 3.18 to a newer release should not have a major impact.
How To Test
Generic 'desktop testing' is always appropriate for a major new desktop version.
Notable additions or changes to the GNOME user experience in 3.20 include:
GNOME 3.20 will be released in March 2015 and fits well into Fedora 24 schedule. In case of issues with individual modules that aren't either released in time or aren't deemed suitable for Fedora 24, we'll continue using the GNOME 3.18 versions of these modules.
- Contingency mechanism: The Workstation WG evaluates the GNOME 3.20 prerelease before beta freeze and reverts individual changes as needed.
- Contingency deadline: beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
- GNOME 3.20 planned features
- GNOME 3.20 schedule
- GNOME 3.20 release notes (not yet available)
Fedora 24 includes the latest version of the GNOME desktop, 3.20. For more information about what is new in this GNOME release, see the release notes.