The live-usb-creator tool is improved with a new design, and weill become a more representative 'first point of contact'
- Name: Jiri Eischmann, Martin Briza
- Email: eischmann  redhat  com
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 24
- Last updated: 21-01-2016
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Martin has posted a status update to the list: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2015-May/210894.html
The live-usb-creator tool is being rewritten according to a new design. The goal is to present a more polished UI and give the user more information about the various install options before doing the actual installation. At the same time, we want to make this tool the primary download option on the website, so new users get directed towards the most polished and least error-prone way to create a live USB from which they can try or install Fedora.
Benefit to Fedora
The live-usb-creator tool is the first 'point of contact' for new Fedora users. Making it look polished, modern and easy-to-use makes these users feel welcome and encourages them to try Fedora.
- Proposal owners:
- Complete the rewrite of the tool and merge the code changes back upstream (Martin is working on this with Luke Macken)
- Ensure that we have reasonable translation coverage for the tool
- Other developers: nothing to do
- Marketing + design:
- Make the live-usb-creator a prominent download option on getfedora.org
- Release engineering: nothing to do
- Policies and guidelines: no changes required
The live-usb-creator tool is helping with new installations. Existing installations are not affected.
How To Test
- Go to getfedora.org
- Observe that the live-usb-creator is offered prominently
- Download it
- Use the tool on windows to create a live USB using the F22 workstation
- Verify that the created live USB works
- Repeat the same on OS X
- Repeat the same on Fedora
- Also try creating live USBs with some of the other available images
The design for live-usb-creator can be found [here].
- Contingency mechanism: If the live-usb-creator changes are not complete in time, we will keep the getfedora.org pages as they are now, offering the isos as the primary download.
- Contingency deadline: beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No
No documentation. The Fedora [installation guide] does not currently mention live-usb-creator.