Lohit2 Odia Telugu
Lohit2 project aims to make open type tables of Indian fonts effective and efficient following various standard around font technology including Unicode, Open type specification, Adobe font naming guidelines. During Fedora 22 Lohit upstream planning to release Lohit Odia and Lohit Telugu with completely rewritten open type tables.
25-02-2015 Scope reduced only Lohit Odia is going to be updated with upstream release. Lohit Telgu will take time.
- Name: Pravin Satpute
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 22
- Last updated: 25 Feb 2015
- Tracker bug: #1182478
Lohit Odia and Telugu fonts are available from 2004. Over the years number of redundant and incorrect open type rules got added into this to cope up with different layout engine available with Pango, Qt and ICU. We started using Harfbuzz-NG unified shaper in Fedora from Fedora 19. Its time to clean-up Odia and Telugu open type tables and make them effective and efficient by following all the standards around font technology. Under Lohit2 project this is happening during Fedora 22 development cycle.
Benefit to Fedora
Lohit Odia and Telugu are default fonts for Odia and Telugu language respectively in Fedora. Making these fonts as per latest open type specification and following recent language related guidelines further help to prove Fedora leadership in language technologies. Optimization in font happen w.r.t. Glyphs and open type tables.
- Proposal owners: Pravin Satpute
Update fonts to the new upstream
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
Upgrade will be smooth. No Manual configuration required. This upgrade will be backward compatible.
How To Test
1. Update Fedora with latest fonts.
2. Use test file available with newly package for testing.
3. Use utrrs
4. Open Wikipedia for further testing in Firefox.
- Lohit Odia are doing good job as a systems default fonts. But there is chance that over the year few things from Language perspective might have changed. Also there is chance that few rare words are not working fine.
- With Lohit2 project thorough testing will happen by going through all the language standard and user will experience better font.
- In case we not able to complete this activity by Fedora 22 timeline. We can continue with existing version of fonts which is good enough.
- Will provide more information while working.