Update the PHP stack to new version 5.6.
- Name: Remi Collet
- Email: remi @ fedora project DOT org
- Release notes owner: Petr Bokoc pbokoc at redhat dot com
- PHP 5.6.0alpha3 released Mar 6th 2014
- PHP 5.6.0beta1 released Apr 11th 2014
- PHP 5.6.0beta2 released May 2nd 2014
- PHP 5.6.0beta3 released May 15th 2014
- PHP 5.6.0beta6 released Jun 6th 2014 (last before RC)
- PHP 5.6.0RC1 released Jun 19th 2014
- PHP 5.6.0RC2 released Jul 3rd 2014
- PHP 5.6.0RC3 released Jul 31th 2014
- PHP 5.6.0RC4 released Aug 14th 2014
- PHP 5.6.0 GA released Aug 28th 2014
- php-5.6.0-0.1.RC1.fc21 built Jun 19th 2014
- php-5.6.0-0.3.RC2.fc21 built Jul 7th 2014
- php-5.6.0-0.5.RC3.fc21 built Jul 31th 2014
- php-5.6.0-0.6.RC4.fc21 built Aug 14th 2014
- php-5.6.0-1.fc21 built Aug 24th 2014
Important changes in this new version:
- Constant Scalar Expressions
- Argument Unpacking
- Syntax for variadic functions
- Power Operator
- Importing namespaced functions
- PHP debugger provided in the new php-dbg subpackage (phpdbg command)
Benefit to Fedora
Provides the latest upstream PHP version.
- Proposal owners:
Mass rebuild of all C extensions (repoquery --whatrequires 'php(api)')
- Other developers:
(pure) PHP extension owners: ensure compatibility, usually this is detected by running upstream test suite, when exists.
PHP webapp owners: test
- Release engineering:
- Policies and guidelines:
This new version should maintains compatibility with version 5.5.x.
How To Test
- test PHP web applications available in the repository
Fedora 19/20 users can use backported packages from remi-php56 repository.
Web developer will get the latest upstream PHP version.
Mass rebuild need: from repoquery --whatrequires 'php(zend-abi)'
According to upstream roadmap, 5.6.0 final should be released around June.
- Contingency mechanism: Wait for 5.6.0RC1 for rawhide import, so we'll, at least, ship a RC. In case of big trouble, revert to F20 version (5.5.x).
- Contingency deadline: June
- Blocks release?: No
- Blocks product?: No
Upstream documentation: Migrating from PHP 5.5.x to PHP 5.6.x (work in progress, should be ready for final)