Replace UDisks2 by Storaged
Storaged extends UDisks2 API by exporting several enterprise features (in form of plugins), such as LVM2 and iSCSI. This project is a drop-in replacement for UDisks2, either from D-Bus or binary point of view. The main motivation of this change is to provide the unified D-Bus API for all the clients who are willing to manage LVM2, iSCSI, Btrfs, BCache, LSM and ZRam.
- Name: Peter Hatina, Tomáš Smetana
- Email: phatina redhat com, tsmetana redhat com
- Release notes owner: Pete Travis (talk)
Aim of Storaged is to provide unified higher level management interface for various clients who are willing to query and manage storage bits of the system. We plan to replace UDisks2 by Storaged, since the Storaged itself is the fork of UDisks2 and these 2 projects in its core haven't diverged so much (Storaged got some improvements which popped up while using it).
Benefit to Fedora
The drop-in replacement is beneficial for Fedora because currently, there are 2 similar projects (one derived from the other). Since, Storaged can export the same API as UDisks2 does, but with several enterprise extensions, it is natural to replace one daemon with the extended one:
- we do not need to have very similar services running at the same time;
- one provides only a subset of operations when compared to the other service
- Proposal owners:
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Since, Storaged should replace UDisks2 in 1:1 manner, there is no additional change required.
How To Test
Install Storaged which replaces UDisks2 and verify that:
- GNOME Disks works properly
- GVFS works as expected (notifications of new devices, mouting, ...)
User will not notice any changes comming from the switch UDisks2 to Storaged.
- Contingency mechanism:
- If we can not make the switch in time (merge in Storaged upstream, Cockpit and Blivet D-Bus API switch), UDisks2 will not be replaced.
Documentation for Storaged can be found at Storaged Documentation