Use ibus-m17n as the default IME for Sinhala
The current default input method for Sinhala is ibus-sayura. This should change to the ibus-m17n input method “m17n:si:sayura - sayura (m17n)”
- Name: Mike Fabian
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Targeted release: Fedora 34
- Last updated: 2021-03-05
- FESCo issue: #2536
- Tracker bug: #1913836
- Release notes tracker: #630
The current Fedora default input method ibus-sayura seems to be not actively maintained. Fixing bugs like this one
is therefore difficult.
The ibus-m17n input method si-sayura.mim does exactly the same (I developed this one to be an exact replacement for ibus-sayura).
As ibus-sayura offers no additional benefit, it is probably better to use ibus-m17n with si-sayura as the default input method for Sinhala. ibus-m17n has to be maintained anyway. Therefore, this saves the effort of fixing the unmaintained ibus-sayura.
Benefit to Fedora
Save maintenance cost in maintaining ibus-sayura. si-sayura from m17n-db can be used both with ibus-m17n and with ibus-typing-booster, so actually it is more useful than ibus-sayura.
- Proposal owners:
- update langpacks-si to use ibus-m17n and m17n-db
- Other developers: gnome-desktop3 for default si_LK input method
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
The package installed by default will change from ibus-sayura to the packages ibus-m17n and m17n-db for an installation in Sinhala.
How To Test
Install Fedora in Sinhala and check that ibus-m17n and m17n-db are installed. The input method m17n:si:sayura should be available:
$ ibus list-engine | grep m17n:si:sayura m17n:si:sayura - sayura (m17n) $
- Add the m17n:si:sayura input method in the gnome-control-center.
- Select it in the gnome-panel.
- Open gedit and type: “inWdRiy”
- Expected Result: You should get the result “ඉන්ද්රිය”.
One should get exactly the same results when testing with ibus-sayura, m17n:si:sayura from ibus-m17n and ibus-sayura should behave exactly the same.
- There should be very little difference in typing Vietnamese as ibus-sayura and ibus-m17n with si-sayura.mim behave the same.
- The setup tool looks a little different.
- Package sizes and dependent packages are different.
- Memory usage is different.
ibus-m17n and m17n-db
- comps has to be updated
Revert changes back to ibus-sayura
- Contingency mechanism: Revert comps and gnome-desktop3
- Contingency deadline: Beta release
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? None