Get wxPython 3 packaged and into Fedora.
- Name: Scott Talbert
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner:
This change proposal aims to get wxPython 3.0 (Python bindings for the wxWidgets GUI library) packaged and into Fedora. Currently Fedora has wxPython 2.8 which has not been updated since 2011. The plan is to make replace wxPython 2.8 with wxPython 3.0 and fix any dependent packages that may have issues with wxPython 3.0.
Benefit to Fedora
This change brings a more modern wxPython to Fedora, including support for GTK3 (currently wxPython 2.8 uses GTK2). Additionally, it moves Fedora to a supported version of wxPython.
- Proposal owners:
- Update existing wxPython package to wxPython 3 and ensure it builds/works in Rawhide.
- In conjunction with the wxPython dependent package maintainers, test dependent packages to ensure they work correctly with wxPython 3. Assist with porting issues.
- Other developers:
- For maintainers of packages that depend on wxPython: test the dependent packages to ensure they work correctly wxPython 3.0. Update the dependent packages as needed to support wxPython 3.0. The API hasn't changed much between wxPython 2.8 and 3.0, but some changes may be required.
- Release engineering: None
- Policies and guidelines: None
User written wxPython applications may require a small amount of porting, but mostly wxPython 2.8 is forward compatible with wxPython 3.0.
How To Test
No special hardware or data is required. To test, one would install a wxPython-dependent package and verify that it functions as it did with wxPython 2.8 (other than possible GTK2 vs GTK3 UI differences).
For the most part, users will not notice any changes, other than the fact that wxPython applications will now look like GTK3 applications instead of GTK2.
The packages below depend on wxPython in Rawhide. The wxPython 3 test/fix status will be tracked in the table below.
|PyPE||Needs Fixing (Patch Available) - #1185600|
|PythonCard||Tested by swt2c - Minor Deprecation Warning (Patch Available) (#1190913)|
|bibus||Tested by swt2c - Minor Deprecation Warning (Patch Available) (#1190916)|
|congruity||Tested - Working (#1177990)|
|cura||Tested by swt2c - Seems to Work Fine|
|cycle||Needs Fixing (Patch Available) - #1190942|
|gitso||Needs Fixing - #1191304|
|gnumed||Tested by swt2c - Seems to work OK (deprecation warning)|
|gnuradio||Tested by swt2c/jskarvad - Works OK (patch incorporated)|
|grass||Tested by swt2c - Seems to work OK|
|gtkwhiteboard||Tested by swt2c - Minor Deprecation Warning (#1191306)|
|hugin||Only used in one plugin - Help Requested|
|londonlaw||Needs Fixing - #1191318|
|mMass||Tested by swt2c - Seems to work OK|
|metamorphose2||Needs Fixing - #1192253|
|openstv||Tested - Working (#1185599)|
|peppy||Needs Fixing - #1192262|
|phatch||Needs Fixing - #1192867|
|plater||Tested by swt2c - Seems to Work Fine|
|pronterface||Tested by swt2c - Works OK, Some GTK errors and button sizing|
|pyhoca-gui||Tested by swt2c/orion - Works OK (pending fixes by orion)|
|pymol-wxpython||Package Maintainer Plans to remove wxPython dependency|
|pyobd||Tested by swt2c - Seems to Work Fine|
|python-squaremap||(RunSnakeRun) Tested by swt2c - Seems to Work Fine|
|rurple||Tested by swt2c - Seems to Work OK (deprecation warning & GTK errors)|
|sk2py||Needs Fixing - #1194096|
|spe||Needs Fixing (Patch Available) - #1194105|
|taskcoach||Fails if pygtk2 installed (#1187849)|
|timeline||Tested by swt2c - Seems to Work Fine|
|wammu||Tested by swt2c - Seems to Work Fine|
|winpdb||Needs Fixing (Patch Available) - #1194117|
|wxGlade||Needs Fixing (Patch Available) - #1190530|
- Contingency mechanism: remove wxPython 3.0 and revert any dependent packages back to wxPython 2.8
- Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No
Debian's wxPython 3.0 Migration Documentation/Tools: http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/wx-migration-tools.git/tree/README
Upstream Bugs Reported
- wxGrid emits Invalid rectangle error under GTK3 (#16819 - FIXED)
- Crash when creating wx.FontDialog under GTK3 (#16820 - FIXED)
- wxPrintDialog creation fails - wxGTK3 (#16821 - FIXED)
- wxAboutBox - GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent - GTK3 (#16823 - FIXED)
- wxListCtrl emits Invalid rectangle error under GTK3 (#16862 - FIXED)
- wxFileDialog - GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent - GTK3 (#16863 - FIXED)
- GtkPrintOperation dialog creation fails when GTK is locally loaded (BGO#745065 - FIXED)