Heat provides an AWS CloudFormation API for OpenStack. The CloudFormation API allows the orchestration of cloud applications using file or web based templates.
- Name: Steven Dake
- Email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: October 16, 2012
- Percentage of completion: 100%
Heat provides orchestration of composite cloud applications using the CloudFormation API and templates for OpenStack. Heat has requested OpenStack incubation and is currently an OpenStack related project.
Benefit to Fedora
Heat provides a standardized method for OpenStack users to launch multiple applications in an OpenStack cloud from a template file describing the cloud application. This feature improves the cloudiness of Fedora by providing a stronger OpenStack feature set.
The feature is currently going through package review. The Heat implementation is high quality and secure.
How To Test
- Install and configure Folsom OpenStack on the system.
- To test the feature, the Heat community recommends running through the getting started guide.
- The getting started guide explains the expected results of the feature.
- The user will notice an AWS CloudFormation API available via the heat CLI command.
Heat does not have any dependencies, so no negative user change will be noticed.
Heat depends on a functional OpenStack implementation, but currently is stable when tested with Essex. We will also work well with Folsom when it is packaged.
The full list of packages which are all available in Fedora Rawhide Heat depends upon are:
Note: python-crypto was previously listed as a dependency. The code using this dependency was imported from a different project (glance) and not used in heat. The dependency has been removed from heat based upon feedback from FESCo but was dead code and removed entirely as a dependency by removing the dead code.
The feature could be removed entirely as a contingency plan if there are packaging or dependency problems with no ill effects.
- All documentation is in the Heat project's Wiki.
- Heat was added to provide an AWS CloudFormation API for OpenStack.