KDE Plasma Desktop 4.5
Rebase to KDE Plasma Desktop 4.5.
- KDE SIG
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- IRC: #fedora-kde
- Targeted release: Fedora 14
- Last updated: 2010-09-07
- Percentage of completion: 100%
Currently KDE 4.5 is packaged in the devel.
We have rebased KDE to 4.5
New features overview
- KDE 4.5
- Qt 4.7 based
- kde-plasma-networkmanagement by default
Benefit to Fedora
KDE is popular, feature rich and stable desktop environment used by a lot of Fedora users.
Requires rebasing to the latest upstream version and preparing distribution specific patches. All new required packages are already included in distribution.
How To Test
- yum groupinstall kde-desktop
- set KDE as default environment + KDM
- login to KDE desktop
or use Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop spin
What should be checked (KDE):
- distribution integration
- custom branding changes (KDM theme, KSplash theme, artwork) - for Preview Release
- working sound in Phonon, esp. with regards to the PA integration
- "root" modules in System Settings (due to pk1)
We are working on test plan for KDE QA.
Modern, feature rich and stable desktop environment.
Depends on upstream KDE 4.5 release, see .
Custom Fedora branding depends on Fedora Artwork team!
Given how the KDE 4.5 and Fedora 14 schedules align, there should be plenty of buffer time between the KDE 4.5 and Fedora 14 releases. We are already working on importing and polishing beta version of KDE. In case of problems with upstream release we can revert to older release or we can omit individual problematic modules of this feature. KDE 4.5 could be later shipped as an update.
The Fedora KDE Desktop User Guide is very important part of this feature for users. It guides users how-to use the new KDE 4 Desktop and it's targeted to both former KDE 3.5 user and first time KDE 4 users.
Upstream documentation sites:
KDE 4.5 release announcement: http://kde.org/announcements/4.5/
This release features KDE 4.5.
KDE 4.5 is the latest release of KDE 4. There are a lot of enhancements and new features.
Comments and Discussion