As a result of the recent intrusion, and out of an abundance of caution, the Fedora Project has decided to issue new package signing keys. As announced previously, this process may require users to take affirmative steps to continue receiving updates from official Fedora mirrors.
For Fedora Users
We will soon be posting detailed instructions for users to enable the new package signing key. By enabling the new package signing key, your system can continue to receive security, bug fix, and enhancement updates from the official Fedora mirrors. Systems that do not enable the new key may not be able to receive these udpates.
Fedora Signing Key Plan
This page outlines the new signing key plan that the Fedora Project is in the process of implementing. The history behind the plan can be found here and here. The release engineering team can be reached in #fedora-devel (irc.freenode.org) or emailed email@example.com.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missingRelease engineering obtains the security team's approval to the plan shown below.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missingGenerate a new key for F8 and F9 stable, and a separate key for testing.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missingAutomatic key migration.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missingAnnounce the new key and details of the migration and end-user impact.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missingPush updates signed by the new key into the new repository.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missingRe-sign all existing F8 and F9 update and testing packages in the repository.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missingMinimize contents of the old updates(-testing) repository to contain only the minimal dependencies needed to upgrade to the new fedora-release. The new PackageKit required to handle key import will also be provided. (in progress)
- Error creating thumbnail: File missingRe-sign all existing F8, and F9 release packages in the repository, leaving the .iso's alone.
- When the re-signed content is ready, remove contents of the old repository and put the resigned RPMS into a new repository. (in progress)
- After the old repository is cleaned, issue a new rpm update in the new repository that will purge old key from user's rpmdb.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missingCreate new key for Fedora 10.
- During development and release of Fedora 10, consider and create better ways to handle automatic key migration. (in progress)
- Decide if the RPMS in the existing .iso's will be re-signed.