HP Envy x360 15-cp0008ca
Inspiration can strike anytime, anywhere, and with the ENVY x360 you’re ready to take your ideas to the next level. Get ready to naturally create from any angle with a touchscreen and full-size keyboard, while enjoying rock-solid security and an incredible audio and video experience. Say goodbye to creative block and hello to an unparalleled creative process.
Taken from HP website about HP Envy x360 15-cp0008ca Overview
- Manufacturer HP
- Processor AMD® APU Ryzen 2500U Processor (2 GHz base frequency, up to 3.8 GHz burst frequency, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Chipset AMD CZ FCH
- Memory 16 DDR 2400 MHz SDRAM*
- Display 15.6" 16:9 Full HD (1920x1080) touchscreen with stylus support
- Graphic AMD Radeon® Vega8 with 1GB DDR4 VRAM Built-in Ryzen 2500U
- Storage Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD 1TB
- Card Reader 2 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ SDHC/ MMC)
- Camera HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
- Networking Integrated 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
- Interface 1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 2 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge), 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge), 1 HDMI 2.0, 1 headphone/microphone combo
- Audio Built-in Speakers And Microphone, Bang & Olufsen
Linux compatibility as tested on Fedora 35 Design Suite
|Processor||Yes||Works out of box. Detected as AMD® Ryzen 5 2500u with radeon vega mobile gfx × 8|
|Display||Yes*||Tested on both Gnome Session and Gnome on Wayland (regression on Mutter 40+ due to upstream change). The screen auto-rotation is active since Linux kernel 5.12|
|Storage||Yes||Works out of box|
|Graphic||Yes||Detected as AMD® Radeon(tm) vega 8 graphics|
|HDMI port||Yes||Works out box (tested on an external HD TV monitor)|
|Display port||Yes||Works out box|
|Sound||Yes||Works out of box|
|Microphone||Yes||Works out of box|
|Headphone+Microphone combo||Yes||Works out of box|
|Wireless||Yes||Works out of box|
|USB||Yes||Works out of box|
|Card Reader||Yes||Works out box|
|Webcam||Yes *||Gnome Cheese handles both regular and infrared camera. Howdy authenticates via infrared camera but requires manual settings to handle such functionality. Upstream is planning a graphical configuration for their 3.0.0 release.|
|Keyboard||Yes||Works out of box including the support of back-light. LED mute button works since Linux Kernel 5.3. Multimedia key input works although disabled on Gnome Settings.|
|Touchpad||Yes||Works out of box using macOS method adjustable to Windows style via Gnome Tweak.|
|Touchscreen + Stylus||Yes||Work out of box|
|Suspend/Resume||Yes||Works out box.|
==== Notes ====
- Memory is upgradable up to 32 GB RAM.
- '*' means customized
Linux Hardware report
Fedora supports secure boot enabled by default in the laptop so the process is streamlined. Dual boot with the pre-installed Windows 10 is simple by preserving the /boot/efi partition which includes the HP System Settings to access UEFI.
Touchscreen & Stylus
As tested on Fedora 35, both touch screen and stylus input work out of box.
This model has an AMD Fusion Sensor Hub listed as
03:00.7 Non-VGA unclassified device : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/Renoir Sensor Fusion Hub [1022:15e4]
lspci -nn output. The driver landed on Linux kernel 5.6.11 and received improvement on kernel 5.12 series.
This model comes with a 7200 RPM 1 TB hard disk drive upgradeable to a solid state drive (in this case a Samsung 860 1 TB version). It also includes an extra slot for a non-volatile memory express (NVME) drive.
Due to the firmware bug, majority of HP laptops are affected by an unresolved issue impacting some functionality of ACPI. For example, a noticeable delay of updated battery status when plugging or unplugging the device. A Linux kernel bug report related to ACPI on HP laptops was recently addressed with the recent updated kernel 5.4.1.
- All test is done on an Design Suite 35 based on Fedora Workstation with nearly out-of-box experience.
- The battery usage is about 6 hours depending of the usage. Optimization on demand comes standard on Fedora 35 with the following options: Power Saver, Balanced and Performance.
- Microsoft Windows 10 has webcam handling facial authentication via Windows Hello application. The equivalent howdy is available on via COPR repository and needs more refinements.
- At this time of writing, handwriting recognition like CellWriter is in sad state without maintenance and activity. The challenge is to get an active maintainer porting into GTK3 or Python3.