Hello to anyone reading these notes,
my nickname, related to the Italian Fedora community FedoraOnLine, is mailga but my real name is Gabriele Trombini.
Already at the end of nineties, I was fascinated by GNU/Linux but my interest has never been supported by the successful installation of any kind of distribution.
It was only in the following year, with the support of a dear friend, that, more convinced, I tried again the installation and the utilization; so the choice fell on the Red Hat distribution.
Since that time I have dedicated much time to the Linux world and, when Fedora has seen the light, I made my choice of loyalty to the Fedora Project.
Since 2006 I collaborate with FedoraOnLine and, over time, the incessant expansion of the Italian community is also due to my support, work and promulgation.
I was born in Milan (Italy) a long time ago (for many people), in the August of 1966, but I moved ten years ago in the countryside near Lecco, in Brianza.
I am married and I have two children that are not old enough to use the personal computer.
I'm one of the owners of a private company and I'm the administrative responsible of the business management, budgets, credits and financials.
I am an expert in management control, in economic forecasts and in fiscal and banking solutions.
The company is in the commercial sector of wholesale of equipment for air conditioning, ventilation and air treatment.
Sport occupied most of my free time in the past, but now my family, children and my job have become more important, so actually my interests are confined to the world of Fedora, to the FedoraOnLine forum, to the study of next releases and to the things around the Fedora Project.
- As mentioned above, since 2006 I collaborate with the Italian Community of Fedora and, with the site Webmaster (Robyduck) and the excellent collaborators Marios, Virus), together we promote both the Fedora operating system and the values in which it believes. The goal of the forum is clear and precise, in other words we want bring more users as possible in the world of Fedora Project. My work in the forum covers many aspects, the main are giving technical support to the members, writing howtos in italian and involving much as possible the undecided users.
- With my friend Robyduck, a few years ago, we also decided to write and distribute a book for those who wanted to become Fedora users, fortunately enjoying a little success. In fact we are very satisfied about the work; we provided to the affected users a tool (in some ways still current) to make easier the first installation of Fedora and, at the same time, create interest around our operating system, explaining topics deeply, with respect to the preparation of those who approached for the first time to Linux. The topics were related to the installation and first configuration, to the filesystem structure, to the Grub configuration, to the services and, also, to an overview of the kernel build.
- I'm a Fedora Ambassador since October 2011.
- In March 2012, as editor, I published the web magazine Folio, free and freely downloadable from the site of the Italian Community. It contains articles and interviews with members of the Fedora Project and other contributors. The goal is to inform the users about the activities of the Fedora Project, explaining deatures and deepen as much as possible into the operating system. The first beat was successful, so I think we can continue with satisfaction.
- Fedora 17 Release Party held in Rome. I believe that the event can actively contribute to the growth and spread of Fedora in Italy. With other Ambassador (Gianluca Sforna and Mario Santagiulana) and with the help of other friends (Robert Mayr and Antonio Gemelli) we organized a presentation of Fedora 17 "Beefy Miracle" and a contest to test the knowledge of the attendees about the system and its history, also including practical demonstrations. It was a national event open to all Italian users.
- In October 2012, I co-organized and participated at the event FAD Milan 2012 held in Milan, in conjunction with the Italian Linux Day. We prepared speeches about the activities into the Project together with ambassadors (Gianluca Sforna, Mario Santagiulana, Robert Mayr and Marina Latini), other contributors (Andrea Veri, Samuel Iuri (Design Team)) and volunteers (Federico Vaga and Massimilano Bugni). We had also one pratical session about packaging.
In the future
Although I don't have much free time, I have many projects to be implemented for the Italian users:
E-mail address @fedoraproject: mailga
E-mail address @fedoraonline: mailga
Fedora Account: mailga
...... that's all!